This is another dish that I miss from home. My grandma used to make this dish with jumbo shrimps, but I’m using vegetarian shrimps instead. You can also use cubed firm tofu instead. This dish can be eaten with rice, pasta or couscous.
- Place cubed tofu or shrimps on paper towels to soak up excess water.
- Cook half the amount of chopped garlic and tofu or shrimps in 2 T oil until semi-browned. Remove from wok and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Using the remaining oil in the wok, saute the remaining chopped garlic, green pepper, jalapeno or red pepper and tomatoes for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and the cooked shrimps or tofu to the wok.
- Pour ketchup, chili sauce and sugar to the vegetables in the wok. Turn the heat down. Season with salt and/or soy sauce or perhaps maybe more sugar if the ketchup or tomatoes are sour.
- Remove from heat and devour immediately.